It is absolutely essential to stay on top of the latest developments in the world. It not only increases your general knowledge but it is also asked in many competitive exams.
Current affairs are vital, and they change rapidly every day. Students need to read the news every day. So, to make it easy for you, here is a compilation of the current affairs in June.
- ‘World Milk Day’ celebrated on June 1.
Central Statistics Office (CSO) releases India’s gross domestic product (GDP) data for the January-March quarter of the financial year 2020-21.
- The world celebrates “World Milk Day” on June 1 2021, under the theme- “sustainability in the dairy sector with messages on nutrition."
- The day is celebrated since 2001.
- It was established by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
The Covid-19 variant, first found in India, is named Delta.
- Before the second wave of Covid-19, India’s GDP grew 1.6 percent in the fourth quarter (January-March) of 2020-21.
- However, for all quarters together, GDP contracted to 7.3 percent.
- Improvement in the fourth quarter was driven by the manufacturing sector.
- Agricultural growth slowed to 3.1 percent in January-March from 4.5 percent growth in October-December.
- Mining & trade, transport sectors, and hotels remained in negative territory and contracted by 5.7 percent and 2.3 percent.
- Gross fixed capital formation, which indicates private investment grew by 10.9 percent in January-March.
World Health Organization (WHO) has recommended several names, to label emerging coronavirus variants of global concern, after four letters of the Greek alphabet. It named B.1.617.2 variant, identified first in India, Delta.Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) has cut India’s growth projection to 9.9 % for Financial Year 2022.
UK variant, identified by WHO, is named Alpha.
- In March, it estimated growth to 12.6%. The rate was cut, witnessing Covid cases lockdowns which have threatened to stall the nascent economic recovery of India.
- As per OECD, “pandemic can be contained quickly, but GDP (gross domestic product) growth will still be about 10% in 2021-22 and 8% in 2022-23.
Naomi Osaka announced her withdrawal from French Open 2021 after she was being fined by the authorities for not speaking to the press after the matches.
- Virus B.1.617.2 is called the “Indian Variant” in the UK.
- It is spreading more quickly than the Kent variant, responsible for the surge in cases during winters.
- There have been about 8,000 cases of B.1.617.2 variant in England and 1,000 in Scotland.
- Transmission rates for B.1.617.2 were roughly two-thirds higher than Kent.
Noted lawyer Mahesh Jethmalani, former journalist Swapan Dasgupta nominated to the Rajya SabhaUnion Cabinet has approved the “Model Tenancy Act” for circulation to all States and Union Territories for adaptation by enacting new legislation or amending existing rental laws as required.
- She skipped the mandatory press meet citing that the press meets are affecting her mental health.
- Naomi Osaka is a Japanese professional tennis player.
- She has been ranked No. 1 by the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA).
- She has won the Grand Slam singles championship four times.
- She has been the reigning champion at the US Open as well as the Australian Open.
- At the 2018 US Open and 2019 Australian Open, she won her first two Grand Slam singles titles. She also became the first woman to win successive Grand Slam singles titles after Serena Williams in 2015.
Lieutenant General Pradeep Chandran Nair takes charge as Director General of Assam RiflesBRICS foreign ministers meeting was held virtually on June 1, 2021.
- Model Tenancy Act, 2019, a tenancy law in India, was designed to rebuild the tenancy market.
- The creation of the act was first announced in the budget speech of 2019 by finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
- It seeks to replace the archaic rental laws of India and to solve the housing availability deficit. This act will help in achieving the target of “Housing for All by 2022”.
Former SC judge Arun Kumar Mishra appointed the new chairperson of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC)United States has ended Migrant Protection Protocols, which is also dubbed as “Remain in Mexico” policy.
- The BRICS meeting was hosted by India in its capacity as chair of BRICS.
- It was attended by Foreign Minister of Russia, Sergey Lavrov; Foreign Minister of China, Wang Yi; Minister of International Relations of South Africa, Grace Naledi Mandisa Pandor; and Foreign Minister of Brazil, Carlos Alberto Franco.
- During the minister’s meet, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar highlighted important principles guiding BRICS.
Global Day of Parents observed on June 1Largest warship of the Iranian navy caught fire and sank in the Gulf of Oman; circumstances are still unclear.
- This policy forced several Central American asylum seekers to wait in Mexico for US court cases.
- Now, Joe Biden’s administration has paused this program called the Migrant Protection Protocols (MPP) in January 2021.
- Since January 2021, about 11,000 migrants have enrolled in it and have been allowed to enter the US to seek asylum claims.
- However, Republicans have criticized the reversal of this policy. Because it encouraged huge migrant arrivals at the US-Mexico border.
CSIR-National Chemical Laboratory (CSIR-NCL), Pune has launched a new SWASTIK technique to disinfect water by using natural oils.
- Kharg used to resupply other shops in the fleet and conduct training exercises. It sank near the Iranian port of Jask.
- Kharg, named after Island Kharg, was a modified Ol-class fleet replenishment oiler of the Islamic Republic of Iran Navy.
- It was built by Swan Hunter in the United Kingdom, which was officially launched in 1977.
Union Cabinet approved Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) on Sustainable Urban Development between India and Japan by suspending the existing MoU of 2007 on Urban Development.
- It was launched because water-borne diseases have increased India’s disease burden.
Isaac Herzog elected new President of Israel by the Knesset (parliament)Global unemployment rate will be 5.7% in 2022: International Labor OrganizationFirst-of-its-kind, real-time online map was launched by a team of 15 Doctors and 12 Professionals from the diaspora in the US and India, which shows available hospital beds in India with real-time updates.
- To implement and strategize cooperation under MoC, a Joint Working Group (JWG) will be constituted.
- JWG will meet once a year in Japan as well as in India, alternately.
- Cooperation under MoC will continue for 5 years, which can be auto-renewed for 5 years at a time.
Research Design & Standards Organization (RDSO) wing of Indian railways has become India’s first institution to be declared as Standard Developing Organization (SDO).
- This online map was launched to provide critical and time-sensitive information to anxious Covid-19 patients as the battle against the second wave of the pandemic continues.
- This portal was launched by Project Madad (help).
- It is India’s first country-wide map showing the availability of hospital beds in real-time updates.
- Washington-based Dr. Rajesh Anumolu was the head architect of ‘MadadMaps.'
- MadadMaps was created with the mission that “proper education and training” of local healthcare workers and Registered Medical Practitioners is the “fundamental” of controlling Covid-19 spread across rural India.
- Standard Development Organization tag was given under the “One Nation One Standard” mission of the Bureau of Indian Standards.
- According to the Railway Ministry, it is a unique initiative by two organizations under which the Government of India will set a template for the rest of India’s leading research & standard development organizations to adopt such standards.
- BIS launched the ‘National Standards Body’ scheme to attain the government’s vision of “One Nation One Standard."
- The National Standards Body Scheme also provides for “Recognition of SDO."
(Click here)American space agency, NASA, has announced its two new robotic missions, namely Davinci+ and Veritas, to Venus to examine the atmosphere and geological features on the planet.Trial of COVAXIN, a COVID-19 vaccine by Bharat Biotech, on children below 18 years was started at All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)Kerala retains top rank in NITI Aayog’s SDG (Sustainable Development Goals) Index, Bihar worst performerSC quashes sedition case registered against journalist Vinod Dua for criticizing PM and the govt. in a YouTube telecastNoted Assamese litterateur and Padma Shri awardee Lakshmi Nandan Bora dies in Guwahati at the age of 91; awarded the Sahitya Akademi Award in 1988 and the Saraswati Samman in 2008
To attempt FREE previous year’s SSC CGL papers.
Centre sets up an expert group for fixing minimum wages and national floor minimum wages to be chaired by Professor Ajit Mishra, director of the Institute of Economic Growth.Defense Ministry signs ₹323 crore. deal for airport surveillance radars with Mahindra Telephonics Integrated SystemsEnforcement Directorate arrests RJD Rajya Sabha MP Amarendra Dhari Singh in connection with a money laundering case probe linked to an alleged fertilizer scamIndian economist Kalpana Kochhar joining Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation after retiring from IMF
For FREE Chapter Tests, Sectional Tests, Mock Tests, and Previous Year Papers for SSC CHSL and SSC CGL (Click here)
French novelist David Diop wins International Booker Prize for books translated into English with his novel ‘At Night All Blood is Black’; translator Anna Moschovakis gets half the £50,000 ($70,850) prize.